Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The stress surrounding the change

It still amazes me how much stressful a small change can be, even to the extent of willingly returning to the previous and probably less optimal situation. (In addition, the physical attraction to an object that I am used to is something near the end of my understanding.)

Three days ago I have changed my phone with a new one from another manufacturer. My old one was so badly damaged by the years spent in my pocket that some of its more desired functions were not functional anymore. The new one is shiny and have so much new things to get to know. However, the effort it takes to get acquainted with it led me to reevaluation of my decision to start this change. The solution for the moment is to use both of them for the time being.

This is a simple example from my own experience. Nevertheless, it made me think about the feelings of the employees, that are asked by their managers to learn to work with a new version or even a product from a new vendor. I am confident that even if they were enthralled at first, they needed encouragement to keep going.

What could be used in such cases is some mentoring, some positive example and a hope that we can get over the troubles. Even if there is no such example for our specific problem I can bet that a new one would be more than happy to be created by me, you or your friends ;- )))

No comments: