Saturday, November 15, 2008

To live in "interesting times"

A few days ago I was discussing the curve of the work load that we have to live with.
The obvious observation was that sometimes it is going steeply up to a point that goes beyond our strength. The result is that then we eagerly want to reduce this load. However, sometimes it is going down to the level of complete boredom. Subsequently we feel a desire to start a new venture, we get itchy feet, so to say.

Then I was wondering about techniques to level this workload, so that we have to apply an even amount of effort throughout our lives. It would be great, I thought, and was almost ready to jump with joy, but... a worrying image formed in my mind. The image of an emergency room, with a lot of hurrying doctors around patients. And the occasional biiiip sound of the supporting machine when a patient decides to totally level the work load.

No, thank you, was my decision. I would rather live with up and downs in the work load than in a constantly boring environment.

No comments: